July 09, 2006

TWIT

My family thinks I'm addicted but I just love to listen to podcasts, and TWIT is my favorite one. For those who don't know podcasts are radio shows online, thats the dumbed down definition. It reminds me of the old times (of course i was never alive in the old times) where people sat down around the radio and listened to their favorite radio shows. The great thing about radio is that it is audio, people say that human beings are visual people (not so sure how true that is... I'm pretty sure T.V. has exaggerated this perception if not created it), and I generally agree with this statement. The truth is that whenever you watch T.V. you take in all the visual effects for granted, that is why all new action movies have to have great special effects. A bad movie or T.V. show can get good reviews because of good special effects. That is why there are so many bad quality shows on T.V. To be on radio or have a podcast you have to recieve a good review and have a lot of quality for the same reason. That is why TWIT recieves more than 300,000 downloads in a few days.

TWIT stands for this Week in Tech, I don't know if I am or not, but I consider myself a techie guy, atleast I follow all the major issues relating to the tech industry. I'm also a pretty avid gamer... mostly my PS2 , but I play on the PC as well. Now all the people start thinking how geeky I am and all the people doing this podcast are ( get the picture of these nerdy high school kids sitting in the basement playing Dungeons & Dragons), but they are nothing like that. These guys are journalists in a sense, and do this program in their spare time.
These guys have wives and kids, and are not that geeky, they report technology in a funny and interesting way

There are some other podcasts I listen to as well another funny one is Buzz Out Loud, these guys are really funny sometimes, but they don't fool around, they report news in the tech industry. There are two pluses to this podacast, one is that it is their job to do the podcast so they report the news well. The second plus is the fact that these podcasts are daily as opposed to TWIT which is a weekly podcast.


Podcasts are great and fun to listen to, but they are time consuming i spend about a 2 hours everyday listening to podcasts, and that's too much time for some people. (Hint: you could take your podcasts with you on a long bus ride or car ride to work... :) ) Another reason is that they are addictive, podcasts sort of advertise other podcasts or blogs of their hosts or guests, this leads to you wanting to listen to more podcasts... which takes more time. Podcasts are like chocolate... you can have them as long as you keep their consumption under control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home